Monday, July 30, 2018

Review Diaries (Life Over Two Beers and Other stories by Sanjeev Sanyal)

Irony-A statement that, when taken in context, may actually mean something different from, or the opposite of, what is written literally; the use of words expressing something other than their literal intention, often in a humorous context. And ironic is how I would describe Sanjeev Sanyal's book Life Over Two Beers and other stories. Its funny in a very self-deprecating way, of one's own self, surroundings and society at large.
And being a self proclaimed Queen of Sarcasm I abso-freaking-lutely loved it.
Each one of the 12 short stories are incredibly well put together and unlike many short stories where one doesn't find closure these gift you a sense of peaceful ending, I mean as peaceful as you can expect from an extremely sarcastic short story that puts forward a very true picture of the world we live in.
Every single last one of the stories are about everyday themes and ideas. Some of these stories are almost urban legend like in their plots for example The Intellectuals and Waiting at the time of Cow-Dust. But the thing that sets this collection of short stories apart is the way these done and dusted stories have been approached. The writer has very aptly placed the stories for when one reads them one after another at the end of the 232 pages there is this smile that keeps lingering. The 3 poems are equally important part of the collection and my personal favorite is Of Forbidden Memories.
In short this book has made me laugh and be a tad bit sad and also given me courage. That even when things are looking bad and gloomy and beyond repair, take a deep breath and try again may be things might just take a turn for the better.
Quick note- I personally hate short stories and if anyone who knows me is asked they will let you know that the reason for this deep hatred is the fact that I like endings be it happy (preferably) or sad, give me an ending cause otherwise I sleepwalke throughout the day thinking of all the possible outcomes. And since this book has given my endings and much needed dose of ironic sustenance: I, Manali Dey, will love to give it 5/5 hearts. And a big hug to the author, please do pen down more such wonderfully different takes on everyday ideas. This has been a wonderful read.
Thank you.
Life Over Two Beers and other stories-
❤❤❤❤❤ Out of 5 💞

No comments:

Post a Comment