Thursday, October 11, 2018

Review Diaries (Sin Is The New Love by Abir Mukherjee)

Have you ever read a book that takes you on a journey?
Like you are not reading and imagining the situations described in the book but it's all actually happening to you?
That's what I felt while reading this goosebumps inducing thriller. Like OMG!!! There have been times in this book while I got so upset about a certain incident or a decision by a character I wanted to get inside the book and shake them back to their senses or simply slap their heads off.
Fortunately and unfortunately (fortunately for me and unfortunately for the author) I follow the said author on social media and I am pretty sure I turned him into my buddy-reading partner. Poor guy was bombarded by questions about the characters and he was kind enough to answer them. But then I being me took things too far and asked him to tell me what happens in the book. Just imagine, Me-I-Myself, Manali Dey was asking for spoilers. Fortunately the author made me see my fault and then I went through the book like a hot knife through butter. And boy was I happy that I didn't read the last page(yeah I am guilty of reading the last page at times when the suspense gets too much, so sue me... We all have some vices)
Another important thing about this book is that when I started reading it, the protagonist was a bong girl whose father is in the police force and the incidents that were happening was just before Durga Puja. So I was taken aback cause I too was reading about her just before the pujas and my father's a cop too. Cue in the goosebumps... Furthermore the way the author describes any incident be it big or small is amazing. There were times when I had to put the book down and look over my shoulder cause I was sure I heard a footstep or two.
So overall this one is a winner and anyone who enjoys a good thriller should give it a read.
So here's me, Manali Dey, giving Abir Mukherjee's Sin Is The New Love 4.9 stars out of 5 and a big round of applause... Kudos to you for such a wonderful gift of a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment