Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Review Diaries (Two Leaves And A Bud by M A Chacko)

Growing up, I have had always heard of a lot about the then political scenarios and how it would effect the future. I had no clue what they meant and found it very easy to ignore them. But reading Two Leaves And A Bud by M. A. Chacko has helped me join the dots.
About the book-
In Two Leaves And A Bud, M. A. Chacko shares his rich insights into the lives of the Syrian Christian community of India. Three distinct stories weave their magic in this novel: The first, The Faithful Husband, stars Seby, a true Sunday Christian, who has acquired land from the Malabar Namboodiris and contrives to retain the land for his family, using any means.

The protagonist of the second book is a young Catholic boy from Kerala, who sets off for greener pastures to earn a living as a construction worker. Chacko fluently discusses the interplay of family, values, society, marriage, dowry, and property on the day-to-day life of the community.

The Holiday, the final book in this trilogy, is a day in the life of Raymond, who wanders through old haunts in Goa on his day off. With its leisurely pace and graceful style, The Holiday gently touches ethics, culture, politics and religion in this multi-cultural tourist hotspot.

Now my take on it-
As I said before, I was noy very politically inclined nor well informed about any thing politics. But that completely changed when I was in Grad School, big culture shock and all that bling. I then took it upon myself to know about the past and then decided whom to support and whom to reject. The reason I am saying all this is very simple, this book is real. I mean the stories that we are told might even not be fictitious, they are that real and relatable. The stories are about love and greed and intelligence bordering cunningness. It's about society and values and the stark truth of every day life. It's about what goes on in one's mind and how different things are on the 'other side'.
My only problem with the stories where the sudden endings. Otherwise I would have gladly given this wonderful, 'wholesome' book a big 5 on 5 stars. The endings, came too soon at least that's what it was for me. I guess my love hate relationship with short stories continues on.
QOTD - If given a chance to go back in time, what's that one political decision that you would love to change and make it better?
AOTD - How much time you got? I have a long list!
Ps thank you M. A. Chacko and @writersmelon for this amazing book

No comments:

Post a Comment