Friday, September 13, 2019

Author Interview (Dipa Sanatani)

1. What made you want to write and choose this particular topic?

The idea came to me when I was lying in bed alone in my apartment in Japan. I was contemplating the vast nature of the universe when I suddenly thought, “How nice it would be if I could invite the planets over for a discussion on life, love and the larger purpose for our existence.” I promptly opened up my notebook and drew a sketch of what the mythological Nine Celestial Beings would look like if they were ‘updated’ for the modern era. The idea ruminated in my head for four years before I finally sat down to write the story.
2. If not a writer, how will you express yourself creatively?

I love dancing and drawing. I used to be a Bharatanatyam dancer. But that was a long time ago.
3. Your inspirations?

My literary influences are: Paulo Coelho, JK Rowling, Haruki Murakami, Neil Gaiman, Roald Dahl, Devdutt Pattanaik, David Mitchell and Antoine de Saint-Exupery.
4. Your go-to genre?

Right now... it's mythology.

5. All time favorite book?

The Mahabharata. You can re-read it over and over again and it always reveals something new.
6. If you could talk to any personality, dead or alive, who will it be?

The Nine Great Celestial Beings, of course! The Sun, Moon, Mercury, Mars, Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, Rahu and Ketu. They’ve been gazing down at mankind since time as we know it began. I’m sure they’d have great stories to tell about the history of the earth.
7. Any pointers for newbie writers?

Don't give up. Never give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment